Part 37: Home, Sweet Home

 The day I arrived in Calgary with my parents and Luke, we decided to pitt stop in Banff. My mom was so excited and we had never been before. My feelings of dread about saying goodbye the next day were masked by moodiness and irritability. It's something I still feel guilty about; she wanted to have a good time and I just wanted to leave. It was getting harder and harder to stuff my sadness down. I felt like I was supposed to be thrilled about being in my new home, but I was just so stressed out. 


It didn’t help that I couldn’t talk to Brody. While I was travelling to Calgary, he was finishing up his time in Guyana, and in just one week, he would finally be here with me. That same week, though, he would begin his four-day journey back to Canada while I was starting my new job. His mom had invited me over for dinner in the middle of the week, to which I accepted. I had met her about eight months ago (story told in part 33) so it was nice to have a familiar face. I was also moving in with the James family, my good friend Kaitlyn, her parents and siblings. It was going to be nice to live with a big family. I was hoping it wouldn't make my transition too lonely. I was extremely blessed to have them. 

We arrived to my new home and everyone helped me bring my stuff inside. We all sat around and visited all evening. I went to Walmart with Kaitlyn and left my parents at their house. This is another moment that's hard to recount. I should have just stayed with them in those last moments. When I got back to the house, they were having a good time. I watched them laugh and socialize and I was about to crack. I couldn't keep it in anymore. I announced that I was going to go to bed and I left the room. Brody was able to call me for a short time, so I called him quietly as I layed in bed. He was obviously ecstatic that I was in his city. "How was the drive?" he asked me. I couldn't even say words, I just exploded into a puddle of sad tears. I could not believe that my parents were getting on a plane to go to Abbotsford tomorrow, and I wasn't going with them. This was my home now. 

The next day, I got up and we went to the airport first thing. We drove in the Jetta, which would be left with me. It was kind of a dream come true, I had wanted that car to be mine for a long time. When the car stopped and they all started to pile out of the car, I got that same feeling behind my eyes like the muscles were strained. I felt in in my cheeks twitching and a deep sick feeling in my stomach. My mom pulls the camera out to take pictures of me hugging my dad and Luke goodbye, to which I say, "Please, don't." But it's not in an angry teenager way, the only emotion behind those words was sadness. 




 After they left, I went back to my new home to get ready for church. I was going to the young adults service with Kaitlyn and her sister. I sent Brody a picture of my outfit and he told me that I was literally sitting in his childhood church building. He was getting so excited to see me, and this was starting to feel surreal. I had waited, and I was going to see him in one week. 

-

The following Monday, I had my first day at CMP Automotive. A GMC, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick dealer in Northeast Calgary. I was going to be the receptionist there with Kaitlyn. My first day, I instantly felt like I was in over my head. This was my first "big girl job" where I was doing serious work. Kaitlyn and I got to drive together and debrief our day afterwards. Although I felt like I was not good enough for the job, I was happy to have a good friend to walk through it with me. 

On Wednesday, Brody's mom invited me over for dinner. I had met her before, but I had never been to their house. I drove the Jetta through Calgary to Brody's house. As I turned onto his street, I pictured him walking to the bus stop as a kid, playing on the front lawn and learning to back out of the driveway. This was the only house Brody had ever lived in, so it was very special to him that I was going there. I parked on the street and walked in. I realized I was empty handed and regretted it instantly. Why is it so awkward going somewhere new empty handed? 

I was let in by Brody's mom, Anita. I didn't realize that they had family in town, Brody's two aunts. They were sorting through a bucket of Brody's late grandma's jewelry. I was welcomed in with open arms, everyone excited to meet Brody's new friend. As I sat at the dining room table, Brody's brother Tyler walked up the stairs. I thought He looked a lot like Brody, just a bit taller. He introduced himself to me and I thought about all of the stories I had heard about these people. I wondered if they had heard stories about me too. Last but not least, Brody's dad, Derrick comes upstairs. He has the biggest smile on his face and came up to me, put a hand on my shoulder and said, "It is so nice to meet you." 

I sat and ate with Brody's parents and one of his aunts. They asked me about myself and how my move went. My hair school disaster eventually came up and I had to break the news to them that I was a drop out. I was sure that they were going to think I was a flake and I had just blown the whole thing, but they listened with compassion as I told my sad tale. I think they probably appreciated what I was willing to do to be with their son. I hope that's what they thought, anyways. 

The week dragged on. I was so homesick and emotional all the time. But on Wednesday, Brody began his voyage home. It occured to me that I may have a kiss coming my way soon. Which is great, but because of the altitude change or the dry air or just dumb luck, my lips had never been more chapped in my life. Like cracking, sore circle around my mouth chapped. But I didn't care, I couldn't believe that this weekend had finally arrived. The love of my life was coming home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: He Thinks You're Dumb and Stupid

Part 24: My Journey With Counselling

A Wholesome Day in Diagnostic Imaging