Part 38: Brody Comes Home

 I woke up and had garlic toast for breakfast. One of the most important days of my life, meeting my potential future in-laws and I had garlic bread for breakfast. My lips were still chapped and I was having major body dysmorphia. But that wasn't going to get in the way of this day. I was meeting Brody’s parents and Tyler at their house before we all headed to the airport together. We were all dressed in orange, his favourite colour. I hadn’t been able to speak to him in a few days while he travelled home. After major delays caused by a hurricane in Florida and an overnight stretch in Toronto, he was finally on his flight to Calgary.

 I was also meeting two of Brody’s brothers for the first time: Andrew and Kenrick. I was especially hoping Andrew’s wife and kids would be there too. I’ve always loved being around kids, and I was excited and honestly a little nervous to meet my future sister-in-law. Out of everyone, she was probably the person I felt the most anxious to meet. At the time, I had no idea that she would eventually become one of the best friends I would ever have. I also met Peg, Anita's aunt. She came and wrapped me in a tight, comforting hug. When the hug was released she grabbed my shoulders, smiled a warm grandma-type smile and said how she had been so excited to meet me. It made me happy that Brody had talked about me to his family. It made it feel real. 

He landed. We were waiting and waiting and watched as people walked through the gate and he wasn't coming. I held my sign, palms sweating, heart pounding. I always turned red when I felt pretty much any emotion. I felt the heat rising in my body, but he still wasn't walking through the door. That's when I saw him, walking towards us in his sunday best, the biggest Brody-style smile on his face and tears filled my eyes. I remember thinking, "I can't believe I get to marry him." 

Anita ran to him, dropping her sign and giving him a huge hug. Then he made his way around the circle of family and friends there to greet him. When it was my turn and I got my hug, it felt familiar. He said "Hi!" and pulled me in tightly, putting his big hand on the back of my head. I felt secure and safe. I was in love, and I could just see our whole future together. This was the first day of a very long, beautiful life together. 

As we walked out of the airport to the car, Brody pulled me in to another tight side hug and said, "I can't believe you're here!" I couldn't believe it either. Sometimes people on social media say cheesy things like "the trip made it out of the group chat" which I think is kind of funny but in this moment, it was like the future we had talked about for months made it off of the screen. I don't know if that is painfully cringey to say, but it's how I felt. Typically, missionaries wait until they are officially "released" as a missionary to act like a normal person again. For example, Brody and I sat in the backseat together, hands in our laps, exchanging nothing but flirty smiles and good energy, maybe pressing our heads together to take one photo. 


I was able to go with Brody and his parents to the church to get him released as a missionary. Once it was over and we got back into the car, Brody grabbed my hand in the back of the car. This was the first time we had held hands and it felt natural. I felt so satisfied with life. 

When we got back to the Jensen's home, Brody's sister-in-law was there with her kids. "Hi! I'm Kara" she said as she welcomed me in for a hug. She was not as intimidating as I had imagined, I could see us being friends. Plus, she had three very cute kids. Brody had only met Amelia, the oldest, who welcomed him with a special sign she had made. She was four, with the sweetest little voice and bubbliest personality, so happy to have her uncle Brody home. Brody had also gained another niece and a nephew while he was gone. Allora was two, and Kheean was just two months old. Allora was a bit nervous to see Brody for the first time, but in her defense, I would probably be over stimulated as well. 


After photos with our signs, surprising Brody's best friend Jaden and a family bbq, the evening was winding down. I had hit it off with Kara instantly. We got to talking about babies, one of my favourite topics of conversation, and the rest was history. She was so cool, and it felt so natural with her. She was excited that there was another girl in the family because she was the only daughter in law at this point. We were going to be great friends. 

It was so special to see Brody with his family and friends, and I could tell right off the bat that they all love him so much. Once the party had died down, we started to unpack some of Brody's things. A lot of his stuff was in boxes in storage, so we were all going back and forth taking boxes up and down the stairs from storage to Brody's bedroom. At one point, Jaden and Anita were both downstairs grabbing boxes and Brody and I were both upstairs, alone for the first time since he walked through the airport. I walked into his bedroom holding a big box, which he grabbed from my hands and put on the bed. Then he kissed me. It felt as though we had kissed many times, both equally leaning in at the exact same time, and not lingering for too long since people were seconds away from walking in the door. It was perfect. 

We ended the night watching Interstellar, a favourite movie of Brody's. Being together felt so right, and this was going to be a wonderful new season of life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: He Thinks You're Dumb and Stupid

Part 24: My Journey With Counselling

Part 19: Rock Bottom